This Paleo Carrot Chocolate Cake is made with natural and healthy ingredients. The combination of carrot and chocolate is wonderful and a slice of this cake will satisfy a sweet taste!
An healthy recipe cake again? YES! I can’t resist, I love to make new recipes and everything related to cakes, cookies and baked goods. Don’t call me crazy…ok, perhaps a little bit…
I have so many recipe ideas, I really can’t control myself. It’s usually like this: | I open the refrigerator | I see what food I need to finish | I think about what I really really want to eat | And some recipe comes to me. This time I thought about a Carrot Cake! A lot of carrots, so here we go! The chocolate sauce came at the end, it wasn’t the first idea but it’s always welcome, don’t you think? ? Also, I’m a carrot freak, my days are not the same if I don’t eat a raw carrot. That’s why I had done some sweet recipes with carrots: muffins, cheesecakes, etc.
Well, let’s talk about Paleo . So far I have avoided to give labels to my recipes, categorize them, but the truth is, my diet is becoming near Paleo Diet. I eat natural foods, I’ve eliminated processed food, sugars, etc. If you want to know more about what is Paleo you should see this website .
Why is this Carrot Chocolate Cake a Paleo recipe? Well, let’s say the ingredients are all “natural”, ie there are in nature, naturally. Like ground almonds, coconut flour (or ground coconut), arrowroot flour, pure cocoa, etc. I used coconut syrup to sweet but you can use honey, both are from nature, natural. Are you question yourself about the arrowroot (Is it true??). Ok, I’ll give you a brief explanation about arrowroot:
- It’s a plant from South of America;
- It’s gluten-free and was used for medicinal purposes;
- It’s easily digested and used mainly in the preparation of desserts, to give consistency.
You can find it on biological groceries, it is easier to find with the name arrowroot starch.
The chocolate frosting came after, I confess. I removed the cake from the oven and I thought something was missing, otherwise could be a little dry. Of course chocolate and carrot is an awesome combination! In fact, chocolate with “anything” is always awesome ? And I make a simple chocolate sauce, so good and ready in 5 minutes!
Finally, I can tell you that it took me this cake for my work colleagues to prove and they LOVED it! Everyone loved it, including my boyfriend… this cake became a must-have for everyone! I think the chocolate frosting helped, chocolate is chocolate ?
Paleo Carrot Chocolate Cake
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 130 g ground almond
- 30 g coconut flour
- 25 g arrowroot flour *
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp of raw cocoa nibs
For the frosting
- 6 Tbsp cocoa butter
- 2 Tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 170 and a line a 18 cm baking form with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix eggs with coconut oil and coconut syrup. Add the cider vinegar and stir well.
- In another bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour and all dry ingredients, except carrot and cocoa nibs.
- Blend the dry mixture into the wet until fully combined.
- Add shredded carrot and raw cocoa nibs, stir well and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes, in the lower part of the oven.
For the frosting
- Take a frying pan over low heat, with cocoa butter.
- When starting to melt, add coconut syrup and cocoa, stirring well about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the top, spreading evenly.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before slicing.